Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/kern
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2002 01:38:57
FWIW, I fail to see where anyone explained anything like what you are
saying. So far, I've seen bad example with thttpd. Generalizing on
basis of thttpd behaviour isn't correct, IMHO.

For a while, assume misconfigured system on edge of collapse due
to filled process slots. Do you think it's better to have huge
number of processes busy looping calling fork(), or have the
processes frequently napping and trying fork() just occassionally?
Which case is likely to thrash less and recover more quickly? In
which case would admin have easier job to fix the situation?

Jaromir

--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/