Subject: Re: tuning for small memory machines
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/30/2002 03:47:37
On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 02:58:25AM -0500, James Chacon wrote:
> Getting the "best" numbers for a given server may take trial and error.
>
> At a minimum it should probably be documented some baseline numbers to use
> for:
>
> 1. file server
> 2. desktop machine
> 3. General use machine (random login host)

Well, my machine is some combination of the last two, I think. It is primarily
used as a desktop machine, in X, but I often login to it remotely and do random
things (XDMCP remote displays, etc) and these numbers work the best for me, out
of everythiing I've tried:
<dive@eros(/home/dive)> % sysctl vm | egrep '(anon|file|exec)'|sort
vm.anonmax = 95
vm.anonmin = 20
vm.execmax = 20
vm.execmin = 10
vm.filemax = 60
vm.filemin = 20

I'm sure there is a more precise set of settings that will be best for my
situation - but what I have now works great. I can make system specs available
to whoever wants 'em.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII