Subject: Re: killing the unkillable
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2002 00:35:09
On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 15:08:39 -0800 (PST)
Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Julio Merino wrote:
>
> # Hardware problems should be managed by the kernel. For example, if a media
> # fails repeatly (like a wrong CD or a floppy), the kernel should be able to
> # stop the read/write, send an error signal to the requesting process and
> # reset the drive. What I mean is that the kernel should detect these error
> # conditions and stop the processes. Isn't it?
>
> Julio, I think you have JUST perfectly illustrated that line which separates
> the real world from the kernel's vision of same.

So, I guess kernel's vision should change ;)

I do not know if this is related to what we are discussing (but at least seems
the same problem); just try the following:

    dd if=imagefile of=/dev/fd0a bs=8k

and do *not* place any disk in the drive (or remove it while writing; use a
damaged this ;). The command will not even stop. It will continue to the end.
Weird.

--
Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>