Subject: Re: Beep on halt (definitive?)
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/22/2002 06:41:49
Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>  wrote:
 > Me too! It's a sloppy network we have, alright. We have 1800 cobalt
 > servers, which means each rack has to have 2 switches, and each row of
 > racks have a router at the end for all the switches, just for the
 > network cabling. To do all of those to have serial as well would have a
 > cost associated with it I don't think management wants to spring for. Oh
 > well :)

That's just stupid management then.  So uptime isn't important? When
a machine dies every couple of days, what do you do? Replace it probably.
So the cost associated with that is higher than the cost of cabling up
the consoles.

 > I do feel a bit for the original patcher of this thread, who thought it
 > be nice to offer his diffs, told to do something more "proper" then shot
 > down because it's bloat. Not complaining or putting blame on anyone, it
 > just puts people off contributing, I know it did for me.

So you would rather that every patch that was submitted get committed so
we don't discourage anyone from contributing?