Subject: Re: uhub_explore: usb_new_device failed, error=IOERROR
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2002 14:27:36
On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Sep 27 23:44:52 rainier /netbsd: usbd_new_device: addr=2, getting full
> desc failed

I was also sometimes receiving "getting first desc failed" too.

I have been able to sometimes workaround both of these problems, by making
it try up to 20 times. And now it when I replug in the printer (USB or
power), it now usually detects it. (Previously, the "getting first desc"
(usbd_get_desc) only tries three times. And the "getting full desc"
(usbd_reload_device_desc) only happened one time.

My custom logging shows that it often has to try getting the "full desc"
three times (and the "first desc" multiple times too).

I don't know if retrying to get full description is the right solution.
But it seems to partially work for me. Any comments?

Nevertheless, although when my printer is detected and ulpt0 is
configured, I am unable to print to it.

$ lptest > /dev/ulpn0
bash: /dev/ulpn0: Resource temporarily unavailable
$ lptest > /dev/ulpn0
bash: /dev/ulpn0: Device busy
$ lptest > /dev/ulpt0
bash: /dev/ulpt0: Device busy

(And cups says it is busy too.)

When I try to print to it, I don't see any USB or UHCI debugging messages.
I tried usbdebug at 3 and 5 and uhcidebug at 3 and 5.

Also, I now see that sometimes my printer returns wrong info (like if I
don't wait several seconds before replugging in USB):

 usbd_new_device: new dev (addr 2), dev=0xc0815a80, parent=0xc06a9a40
 uhci_idone: error, addr=2, endpt=0x00, status 0x440000<CRCTO,STALLED>
 usbd_probe_and_attach: trying device specific drivers
 usbd_probe_and_attach: no device specific driver found

And I get a lot of these:
  uhci_idone: error, addr=0, endpt=0x00, status 0x440000<CRCTO,STALLED>

Any ideas on how to get it to retry if the CRC fails or if there is some
STALL?

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this further?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/