Subject: Re: USB printers
To: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/17/2002 15:19:29
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:47:09PM +0200, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
> Jukka> I have been using my HP DJ970Cxi without problems for a long
> Jukka> time - but the UNIX drivers still aren't perfect.  To get the
> Jukka> best output quality, I print from a windoze machine through
> Jukka> Samba and NetBSD.
>
> You may have the same output quality as Windows by using gs7 and
> hpijs driver, both in pkgsrc.

It's not the same.  hpijs supports only 600 dpi while the win driver uses
1200 dpi.  The quality produced by hpijs is good, but the difference is
visible in photo quality printing.

I received a patch for hpijs which is supposed to add 1200 dpi photoret
mode, but with the patch, only a 23 mm high portion of the image was
printed (the quality looked OK, though ;)

I don't think this discussion belongs to tech-kern anymore..

  -jm