Subject: Re: Firmware and kernel image compression
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/17/2002 03:56:05
On Jan 3, 12:43am, Anders Magnusson wrote:
} >
} > I don't think algorithms can be copyrighted.  Otherwise cleanrooming
} > wouldn't be possible at all.
} >
} For sure they can. We have been involved in a bunch of algorithm patents,

     Patents are not copyrights!  Algorithms can't be copyrighted;
although, they can be patented (for some strange reason).

} for example for efficient packet classifications. Cleanroom implementations
} are something separate from this.

     No, they aren't.  Copyrights do not prevent cleanroom
implementations; however, patents could.

}-- End of excerpt from Anders Magnusson