Subject: Re: remove duplication of device majors list.
To: MAEKAWA Masahide <bishop@rr.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/2002 09:16:14
hi,

well, that's a start.  I was hoping we could be even more aggressive,
to the point where all the code is MI and the MD part is just a table
(like you've got the majors as a table now).  now that I think about it,
there are probably MD device names that conflict between different platforms
but we can probably get pretty close.  it would also be nice to be able to
do something like "env MACHINE=sparc sh MAKEDEV all" on a pc, ie. have
all the scripts there on all platforms to allow cross-setup.

I was thinking we could end up with:

	MAKEDEV			MI code, with no MD information at all
	MAKEDEV.$MACHINE	MD code (for MD devices) and MD data
				(selection of disk_minor_flavor and such)
	MAKEDEV.$MACHINE.majors	generated MD major table

how does that sound?

-Chuck