Subject: Re: backward-incompatible change to systrace
To: None <xs@kittenz.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/31/2002 01:55:42
>> 	there will be a backward-incompatible change to systrace ioctls.
>> 	you will need to update both kernel and bin/systrace.
>Are these the syscall argument replacement ioctls? Or something else?

	the "backward-incompatible" change is the addition of sequence numbers
	to ioctls to avoid race conditions/out-of-sync between bin/systrace
	and the kernel.

	argument replacement ioctl is also pulled in with the commit.

>> 	since systrace is somewhat broken at this point (systrace -A
>> 	does not work right) it shouldn't really matter.
>Do you mean the quoting issue?

	for me "systrace -A" generated nothing, due to the difference
	between openbsd and netbsd on how to hook into syscalls.
	(EJUSTRETURN from execve was passed up to the userland, and
	confused bin/systrace)

>I have a version of systrace that matches openbsd closer than -current,
>but there are some problems with systrace which I am waiting for feedback
>from Niels Provos about. (race conditions, bounds check, pf_local, etc)

	now netbsd and openbsd systrace are in sync.  pls send your patches
	to provos as needed.

itojun