Subject: Re: Generic pci quirk code (Re: VGA ATI patches)
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/02/2002 13:52:24
junyoung@mogua.com said:
> Your quirks code resides in vga_pci.c, so it can't be used with ISA
> cards.

Right. It really doesn't make sense to apply PCI ID matching
code to ISA cards. For ISA VGA, there are other means. I'd recommend
looking at the pcvt sources in the CVS Attic as a reference.

> Anyway, how about this one for merging the stuff in vga_pci.c and
> pci_quirks.c together:
> [...]

I don't think this is a great idea, for a couple of reasons:
-The needed "quirk" flags are not PCI local - other VGA driver
 frontends might need them too. Leads to ugly namespace mixing.
-There is a number of drivers in dev/pci which look up a local
 database for chip specifics, why special-case VGA?
-We might find that many or most of ATI cards are broken. In this
 case it would be a waste to match against each known product ID.

best regards
Matthias