Subject: Re: config(8) enhancements
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2002 09:31:21
On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 12:26:37PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
  | >However, in my pc164 alpha, with a similar config, the puc got
  | >com0..3, the serial console ended up on com4 and com5 was the second
  | >on-board port.  I think I tried listing the puc entries after the
  | >isa entries but I can't recall the effect of that.
  |
  | in the GENERIC alpha config file (which, i presume, you started from),
  | the com attachments are like this:
  |
  | 	com*    at      isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4           # standard serial ports
  | 	com*    at      isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3

You are, in fact,  correct.

I had forgotten that my alpha's kernel config had wildcarded entries
for the on-board com ports, which explains why they got com4 and com5.
If I instead had
	com0    at      isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4
	com1    at      isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3
like my i386 boxes have, then on the alpha I would have seen the puc
com ports on com2..5.

So, in an addendum to my previous post, it appears that hard coded
numbers take precedence over wildcard ones.  I apologise for any
confusion my previous mail may have caused.

Andrew; thanks for the clarification.

Luke.