Subject: Re: Changing block size on SCSI disks
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/26/2002 13:47:55
On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 01:03 PM, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com> writes:
>
>> If nobody objects it would be nice to have the changes committed as
>> there are very few other options out there for doing this.
>
> I have no real objections, but the documentation should mention that
> not all drives like to be formatted in this manner (and may stop
> working).

I'll add that to the man page but as far as I could tell this would seem
to be a violation of the Mandatory command set.  If the drive enters a
Degraded Mode of operation as a result of an improper Format command
(for that device), the standard recovery is to issue a proper Format
command.  At least that's what all the documentation I read seemed to
say, and the Degraded Mode drives I had on hand did recover when I did
this.  Anyway, the code I added doesn't specify this information in the
Format command unless the user provides a blocksize parameter.

-bob