Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2002 14:21:28
>> I've now done the tweaks to fsck_ffs; I added -z which tells it that
>> when it finds a file with zero link count but non-zero size, it
>> should link it into lost+found instead of torching it.
> Is that really going to help?

As greywolf described his situation, I think it would have helped him.

> You're either going to have to use the option every time (in which
> case, why is it optional?) or it will be too late, the standard fsck
> after reboot will already have cleaned up all this junk.

There *is* a third case: when you're there working and the system falls
over, at which point you tell it to boot single-user and run fsck by
hand with -z.

As for "(in which case why is it optional?)", well, the obvious answer
is basically the same one that applies to everything in rc.conf: one
site may want it and another site may not, even though each site's
choice may be the same from one boot to the next.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign