Subject: pms0: resetting mouse interface
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Tyler Mitchell <fission@styrophone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2002 23:36:55
Hello,

After a build of a -current kernel (using sources updated this morning),
my PS/2 trackball (a Kensington Orbit) no longer works in X.  A
standardish Compaq PS/2 mouse, on the other hand, works just fine.
Wanting to know more, I built a kernel with options PMSDEBUG.  I got the
following (repeatedly):

	pms_protocol: standard PS/2 protocol (no scroll wheel)
	pms_enable: using no scroll wheel (3 buttons) protocol
	pmsinput: 0x8 not set in first byte [0x00], resetting
	pms0: resetting mouse interface

The pmsinput line varies slightly; sometimes the first byte given is
[0x00], sometimes it is [0x10].

Before building this new kernel today, I was using a -current kernel from
around February 24, back when the pms driver was still under psm.c; I
probably would've been using revision 1.13 or 1.14 at that time. Browsing
cvsweb, it looks like the code that prints this error message was
introduced in psm.c 1.18.

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Tyler Mitchell

"Wherever you go, there you are."