Subject: pcmcia match/attach: ok to key solely off vendor-id/chip-id?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/2002 17:19:20
Older PCMCIA devices cards were a horrific mess to recognize and
configure, and we used a bunch of locators heuristics to configure them.

Newer cards, however, are much more regular. Device-specific
match/attach functions could feasibly ignore the vendor string names
and product string names altogether.  Then we could add a match/attach
based on the binary vendor-id and product-ID, and handle new 10/100
Ethernet pc-cards, regardless of whether the card is marketed by
D-Link, Kingston, Linksys, Netgear, or whoever.  (Obviously, we keep
the string info as locator for devices which still need it).

Are there good reasons not to?