Subject: Re: LKMs & PCI Cards
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/09/2002 14:18:24
Quoting Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>:

> > Is doing a LKM PCI driver even possible at this point?
>
> I'm almost positive it is possible, Jared D. Mcneill has been messing with an
> LKM driver for some PCI sound card (allegro-1, if I remember right)
> I'm pretty sure it's not in the main tree yet, and I may be wrong, but from what
> he told me, it should be possible to do for other PCI cards.

It is most certainly possible, but it's not pretty to do with the current framework.

I've been working on some things, and currently the following modules are
working for me:

  esa
  mii_bitbang
  nsphy
  if_ex_pci

I even fudged together a way of making it possible for one LKM to use symbols
provided by another (proven by the mii_bitbang -> nsphy -> if_ex_pci
combination) to tide me over until I implement a kernel linker.

Anyway, if you are in a hurry and want something now, you might want to check
out some older revisions of my esa(4) driver to see how it can be done with the
current framework:

 http://www.invisible.ca/~jmcneill/netbsd/esa-0.3.tar.gz

Regards,
Jared