Subject: Re: Patch review for mouse console support
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/07/2002 04:03:03
Julio Merino wrote:

>I would like you to review it and tell me if I'm doing things The Right
>Way (TM) or if I need to change some things on design. Just to
>say that the new wsmoused I'm writting (completly from scratch) is
>working very well with this patch :) (note that I'm not experienced in
>kernel coding so I may have done this badly)...

So, now I actually have a more interesting observation. :-)  There
is an issue in there.  How does moused deal with either of:

	1.  changing vt's while highlighting text, or
	2.  text output while highlighting text?

It seems to me that right now it may not be strictly possible to
do that, as the moused can't really ask for the information it
might need to take care of these situations.

One could take a `locking' approach, but that is probably a little
heavy and would probably expose one to `borking the console' if
moused exits without cleaning up properly.

Also consider that moused holds in its memory information that is
required to properly reconstruct the state of the screen, i.e. what
the characters that it changed were before the change.  The kernel
has none of this information.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==