Subject: Patch review for mouse console support
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2002 11:35:00
--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

Hi all

I've got a patch for wscons to get mouse support in console. It may still
have some problems (as one with blinking text) that I have to solve. So,
this patch is _not_ ready for commiting, sure.

I would like you to review it and tell me if I'm doing things The Right
Way (TM) or if I need to change some things on design. Just to
say that the new wsmoused I'm writting (completly from scratch) is
working very well with this patch :) (note that I'm not experienced in
kernel coding so I may have done this badly)...

Some notes:

1) As it is done now the patch will only work on systems with pcdisplay
   (i386 only?)... well, I haven't found a better way to retrive
   (and write) screen characters. Although, the wsdisplay_char structure
   I've written tries to be MI, so porting mouse support to other
   platforms would mean rewritting only two functions (the ones found in
   pcdisplay_subr.c).

2) To enable these functions you have to include WSDISPLAY_CHARFUNCS to the
   kernel config, so people who feels that they may be insecure (screen
   snooping) can safely disable them.

Well, and the patch: http://jmmv.dyndns.org/NetBSD/mouse-patch.diff

I'm waiting your comments :)

Thank you.