Subject: Re: Ioctl to write to a screen
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2002 09:41:01
--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 09:22:50AM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002 00:21:33 +0200
> Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> I do not know if other netbsd folks would agree with wscons support for i=
t, but I beleive that it would be much easier to have wscons optionally sup=
port gpm/moused-like behavior, as it handles the virtual consoles already i=
mho, and has wsmouse... it would also allow to internally use the mouse dat=
a, before exporting it to /dev/wscons, which would elimitate gpm/X11 confli=
cts that seem to occur on other systems, where gpm has to be configured to =
copy the mouse data it reads to a fifo file, which X11 then uses...
>=20

I don't know how gpm works though I took a look to openbsd's moused. I copi=
ed
its code to netbsd, which worked fine, but guess it, it was "bad" code. Most
of the mouse support (mouse movement, selections, etc) is done in kernel, a
thing that nobody liked.

As I'm doing now, everything is from user-space, except those ioctl's to
draw/hide mouse pointer and to paste text...

> Matt

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
HispaBSD member - http://www.hispabsd.org