Subject: Re: Intercepting system calls
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/22/2002 21:09:42
Am Montag den, 22. April 2002, um 20:32, schrieb Jason R Thorpe:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:12:34PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>
>> I've still got the patches.  Anyone who wants to pick them up, roll
>> them forward, and rework them to do it right is welcome to.  I may do
>> it myself someday, but given how little I've progressed on it in the
>> last few years, it seems unlikely I'll do much with it in the
>> foreseeable future.
>
> Can you describe *precisely* what PT_SYSCALL does?

There is a tool in linux, 'strace' which allows one to
trace system calls. I've used it on rare occasions, when
I though some particular system call was causing a
kernel panic.

 From the linux man page, it is derived from
a tool that was originally written for SunOS, of some ancient
vintage.

I presumed there was something similar for NetBSD until
the poster asked...