Subject: Re: ideas for multisession CD support
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2002 10:02:05
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:59:57 +0200
> From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
> To: tech-kern@netbsd.org
> Subject: ideas for multisession CD support
>

> I'm missing two features at the moment:
> 1) access to previous sessions on a CD, and
> 2) the ability to simulate a multisession CD on vnd (or
>    hard disk, for that matter)
>
> What we have now is that the cd9660 filesystem asks the CD
> driver for the offset of the last session through an ioctl
> and always uses the offset if the driver/device supplies it.

so for 1 one simple option should be ok for that like

mount_cd9660 -o session=1 /dev/cd0a /cdrom

unfortunately multi-session ioctl are not documented in man cd(4).
i don't know how to get number of first sector of given section/track

> For (2), we could support this ioctl (CDIOREADMSADDR) in other
> drivers; we'd also need a way to configure it because the

i think 2 isn't much important. we often record one session if we know
what we want on CD. (unless first session is music to make CD that plays
on CD player and has computer data)