Subject: Re: Breaking binary compatibility for /dev/joy
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2002 17:37:00
> I would suggest that you post a proposal for the new interface so that
> people can get an idea of whether they think it is one that will last
> without having to be rev'ed again. I'd also suggest checking what
> other OSes (FreeBSD, Linux) do for this, so we don't become mindlessly

FreeBSD uses same interface as we do, just the interface name
is different (js IIRC).

Linux has a bit different interface, which also allows sets/gets
some calibration.  It uses struct with 'int x, y, buttons' to report
the joy state, with 'buttons' being mask of pressed buttons.
I did not studied the interface too deep to provide more information
on this, this is just what I noticed when I worked on joystick support
for xarchon.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
ARTISYS, s.r.o., Stursova 71, 61600 Brno, Czech Republic