Subject: Re: HPT366 lockups
To: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2002 08:57:27
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:47:56AM -0400, ipthomas@mac.com wrote:
<snip>
> 	I didn't run into any problems when I set the drives to use PIO,
> but it was noticeably slower.  Another note, myself and 3 hours on the
> phone with Microsoft Tech Support were not able to install Windows 98SE
> on this mobo.  This may be an Abit thing.  I have seen recommendations
> to upgrade to a newer BIOS version in threads on GNU/Linux mailing
> lists.  You may want to try that.
I updated the BIOS earlier today to the latest version available from Abit's
site, but it made no difference.

Something else I just noticed while looking at the HPT366 driver from Linux
(linux/drivers/ide/hpt366.c), is that my second drive model (IC35L020AVER07-0)
is in a list called bad_ata66_4... I'm not sure if this means that a) the HPT366
can't handle that drive, or b) the Linux people didn't want to make the HPT366
driver handle it. I know the drive is not "bad" in any way, and the lockup is
the same one I've gotten with any other ata66 drive on that channel.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII                         Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                    aka dive