Subject: Re: Write a translating FS layer instead (Was: Re: Mount option to
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2002 11:10:55
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > Actually I think case preserving drops out. As long as the name that gets
> > handed to VOP_CREATE() has the same case as the original system call did,
> > we preserve case. So as long as we leave the name alone, I think we're
> > fine. :-)
>
> One clear loose end: how do you handle two processes simultaneously
> attempting to create equivalent but not equal names?

We'd probably have to check (in VOP_CREATE()) to make sure the name is
unique. But since we intercept all the calls, we can be sure that our
cached list of names is right.

Oh, I'm assuming that this file system would have to be an overlay-type
file system (not null) to work right. :-)

Take care,

Bill