Subject: re: Pathname translation for emulations (Was: Re: Removing compat/aout)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2002 11:50:37

   > On NetBSD, we have the path prefix as a part of struct emul, which
   > is per-emulation. p->p_emul points to this structure, which contains
   > also other emulation-specific stuff, like errno translation etc.
   > Those CHEC_ALT_*() macros are merely readability wrappers
   > around emul_find(), and use the path name prefix implicitly to
   > do their work.
   >
   > FWIW, I prefer if all stuff related to any emulation is within
   > emulation-specific code if at all possible.

   In principle I agree with you. But if we have the same code in every
   emulation except for the name, we should centralize it. And I think we can
   do this w/o adding much impact to native code (testing for a null
   pointer).

i don't like this because different emulations translate different
system calls, not "all of them".  how do you provide for this?

.mrg.