Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/2002 12:01:44
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Christos Zoulas wrote:

: | The undumping mentioned in this thread has very specifically to do with
: | position-dependent data:  either dumping the memory space of a program and
: | creating an iffy binary image that can later be re-executed directly, or
: | dumping a section of memory whilst expecting to be able to mmap(...,
: | MAP_FIXED, ...) the blob back into place.
:
: Well, I am talking about save and restore; line 213 execute.c...
: I am not sure it is all position independent, but I could be wrong.

Ah, that part I didn't see.  That's even more ugly, because it is very
likely to write out large chunks of unused memory.  <sigh>

Now I'm even more convinced that [s]brk() should be shot in the head
mercilessly.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/