Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-userspace@netbsd.org>
From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/2002 03:29:41
On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:44:30PM +0100, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:

> What about programs that dump themselves for later restart (like emacs,
> TeX etc.)?

A little history...

Emacs was developed under ITS and also runs under TOPS-20.  Ditto MIT's
MIDAS assembler which AFAICT uses the same dumping and undumping scheme.
TeX was developed (I believe) under WAITS and also runs under TOPS-10
and TOPS-20.

I wonder if there are any UNIX programs, not ported from one of the PDP-10
OSs, that undump themselves?  (Someone already mentioned sendmail.)

And if anyone can explain what the apps are doing and how the OSs differ
in their abstractionns of VM, I'd love to hear it, but off the list.

-- Derek