Subject: Re: ddb; how about adb?
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2002 08:26:23
In message <200202240059.g1O0xoi24172@toad.rmkhome.com>Rick Kelly writes
>John Nemeth said:
>
>>out on BSD.  The first UNIX box I used was an old Pyramid with the dual
>>universe OS, which was running with the BSD personality.  Then I used a
>
>Very bizarre machines. To boot you had to first boot from a floppy that
>installed the "firmware" and started the monitor in memory, then you booted
>the system from the monitor.

It wasn't so bad. ISTR the floppy was to load the microcode and
bootloader; then one could boot from, e.g, a miniroot on tape.
Rather nicer than the contemporary 11/750s.

... but don't ask for a 90x NetBSD port unless you have docs, both
architecture manuals, and the docs for the Multibus(/whatever) adaptors, OK?