Subject: VIA VT82C686A IDE problems on a Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/2002 10:36:34
Hello all,
I'm having trouble with the ATAPI support for this chip. I have a
Seagate Hornet as the sole device on channel 2, and NetBSD is unable to
find it. The BIOS find it without any trouble. I also had some trouble
with an ATAPI Zip drive that would reject the I/O mode the first time it
was set (you know, UDMA, DMA, PIO), but if the exact same settings were
retried (via a minor code fiddle), it would work.

I have also noticed that my motherboard vendor has issued an updated
BIOS with the following note '1. Mechanism of UDMA of IDE secondary
channel with ATAPI device is reworked ' Am I suspicious or what?

I have asked VIA for a copy of the datasheet (under and NDA) with a
specific request for any errata. I'm saying this here so that 1) people
know that there is a problem. 2) That I am looking into it and 3) people
can have the opportunity to offer documentation or advice.

I might even send in a PR if I end up knowing more than just that my PC
has a problem.

Cheers,
Lloyd