Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2002 23:38:41
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# Now if we could do the same for all IP capable network interfaces, and
# maybe even generically for all block-addressed secondary storage devices
# (aka disks and things that behave logically like them), then we'd really
# be getting somewhere.  For example something like logical disk devices
# ("ld*") should be able to point at any kind of disk controller, not just
# hardware RAID controllers, including SCSI disks.

I'm not so sure I'd like to do that with network interfaces.  I actually
like knowing where my cards are (by virtue of *what* they are); i.e.,
I don't want to guess that net0 is my National Semi card, net1 is my
ppp connection and net2 is the first port on my quad ethernet.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The power to Connect