Subject: Re: old SCSI devices that don't support INQUIRY
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/26/2001 16:59:37
> > The full fix requires code that "conjures up" a response to a failed
> > INQUIRY.  I followed what I thought was the best suggestion from
> > earlier in the thread and I wrapped the conjuring code (found in
> > dev/scsi/scsipi_base.c) in one #ifdef sun2.
> >
> > While the MD #ifdef in MI code does bother me, I decided to go with it
> > because that's a real good place to put that code, it's short, and I
> > was hesitant to enable it for everybody.
>
> Could such a device be connected to something else than a sun2 ?
> If so maybe someone else may want this too, and a kernel option
> would be better ?

Sun made external `shoebox' devices that had these boards in them, so
it's possible that anyone might cable one up, although it's more
likely in the sun3/sparc world.

A kernel option sounds like a good idea.  Name suggestions?  How about:

options	  SCSI_OLD_NOINQUIRY	   # support old devices without INQUIRY

Matt

--
Matt Fredette
http://mit.edu/fredette/www