Subject: Re: MAC address for PCI hme (Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/arch/i386/conf)
To: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/28/2001 17:03:41
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Andrew Doran wrote:

> > You have to set the address "manually" if you want
> > to have two interfaces on the same physical network.
>
> Don't you really mean to say "logical network", like a VLAN?

Well, a physical network is a logical network, too. :-) But knowing
tech-kern folks I guess I should have been more precise and specified a
"single layer-1 address collision space" or something similar.

> I have lots of
> multi-homed boxes here with the same MAC address on all interfaces (dumb as
> that is).

I don't see what's dumb about it, if they're all on different networks.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org