Subject: Re: MAC address for PCI hme (Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/arch/i386/conf)
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/28/2001 15:21:21
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:53:13AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>
>  > The problem is the hme does not have its MAC address on it.
>  > (Current driver uses MAC address in sparc NVRAM)
>  > How should we handle it on other ports?
>
> What about HME add-in boards?  It's gotta be in there somewhere.

Not really, no. Sparcstations traditionally use the same Ethernet address
on all interfaces. You have to set the address "manually" if you want
to have two interfaces on the same physical network.

Perhaps we should do the same, and just re-use the MAC address of another
interface in the same. Though I guess that doesn't help much if the HME
is the only interface.

Another option might be to use the output of a pseudo-random number
number generator seeded from the hostname to construct the lower half
of the MAC address (leaving us with only a one in sixteen million
chance of a collision), though where we get an appropriate IEEE OUI
(Organizationally Unique Identifier) for the upper half would still be
an open question. We could spend $1250 and buy an OUI from IEE, but I'd
suggest we just steal one from a company that's not likely to use theirs
for Ethernet, such as Atari (00-00-36). :-)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org