Subject: Re: ACL's revisited
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/26/2001 07:52:30
On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 01:35:12PM +0200, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> Oops, I use ffs filesystems on removable media so there is an immediate
> need for the second part. Is it possible to use a fixed inode for the
> acl database?

I was presuming we would, as Solaris does, store the ACL metadata
attached to each individual inode. If we choose to store all ACL
metadata for a given file system in a file at the root of that file
system (as we do for quotes), this is a non-issue.

An ACL-aware version of the file system will see the ACLs, an ACL-
unaware one will not. Note that this could lead to allowing
inappropriate access to files on the ACL-unaware system.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net