Subject: Re: loadfile/ELF fixes, take 2
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/17/2001 18:41:28
Wow. I had no idea I was quite this far behind on my mail. It looks like
this hasn't been comitted yet, at least not to loadfile.

Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote on Mon, 30 Jul 2001
at 01:11:06 +0100 in <Pine.SOL.4.33.0107300051220.5162-100000@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk>:

> This patch basically causes both loadfile and DDB to use the sh_link
> member of the symbol table's section header to find the string table,
> rather than having loadfile load all the STRTABs and having DDB ignore all
> the ones not called ".strtab".

So, is it not the case that this violates the ABI?

It seems to me that there are two ways to solve this problem -- one is to
have loadfile and ddb and so-on "cheat" and make the presumption.

The other is to change the way the linker works so that the .shstrtab
is earlier in the executable. I'm not sure how tough this is.

At the moment, on the i386 port, we have the broken state where
ddb cannot read netbsd.gdb debugging symbols. I last thought
about this in July of last year and didn't really finish up, so
my memory is a bit tough, but I worry that not using shstrtab
means we won't be able to load that table properly.

Am I confused?

--jhawk