Subject: Re: /dev/clock pseudodevice
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/30/2001 17:28:50
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

> >  1) only allow /dev/clock to make small adjustments to the clock
> > (adjtime(), ntp_adjtime(), and possibly small forward steps with settimeofday)
>
> What do we consider as small?

And isn't it enough that the sysadmin has to have changed the permissions
on dev/clock first? i.e. you have to be (have been) root to open this
hole, so if root wants X to be able to twiddle the clock, X should be able
to.

A big warning should probably be appropriate.

Also, for whatever we decide is "small", I bet that someone will be able
to figure out how to roll the ckock back. :-)

Take care,

Bill