Subject: Re: libsa/loadfile.c
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/2001 10:03:24
> How do you find the string table, then?

	Currently, the same way we have to for a.out - assume that
it is loaded immediately after the symbol table.

> No, using elf_exec() gains you a lot:
>
> 	(1) It saves you from having to re-implement the functionality
> 	    it already provides.

	Sadly, I already have to change half of its functions through
hacky #defines, and using it means I can no longer support Think C,
so I lose some things too. If I was re-implementing it, these losses
could disappear.

	Not that I _want_ to re-implement anything, however.

> 	(2) It is guaranteed to load symbols in the way the kernel
> 	    expects for DDB.

	Hmmm. Hadn't thought about this. DDB compatibility matters.

1) Does DDB _require_ the Elf header to be loaded in the kernel?

2) Does DDB _require_ the exec header from an a.out kernel?

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "Reality is that which,   |
|   Telstra NW-D, Sydney, Australia.    |  when you stop believing  |