Subject: Re: POSIX.4 real-time extensions?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/2001 20:01:21
Christos Zoulas wrote:
> SA_SIGINFO: mostly done [look at compat svr4]. As soon as kjk commits his
> 	    contextsys changes, I'll put it in.

Great :) I just love when somebody else does what I'd need/plan to do :)

This is basic building block, AIO is not too usable without SA_SIGINFO
support (at least not when lots of outstanding i/o is taking place).

> Real time queued signals and AIO, are tough..

I think that the queued signals are not too hard, just SMOP. AIO is much
more complex. AFAIK FreeBSD already supports AIO, that code would be good
as a case study on how the thing may be implemented on BSD-like system.

> semaphores and queues should not be that difficult.

Yeah, kernel-only solution would be quite easy, could be done e.g.
as special filesystem.  However, writing it so that system calls
would be avoided as much as possible would be quite a bit more
tough.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!