Subject: POSIX.4 real-time extensions?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/2001 12:47:29
Hi,
are those perceived to be important for people? Having the standard
POSIX.4 facilities available (and working correctly, of course ;) under NetBSD
would surely help push NetBSD around in company I work for nowadays. It would
make me really happy if I'd manage to change the Solaris&Linux combination we
use now to something like Solaris&NetBSD, or even NetBSD alone :)

AFAIK Nathan is working on pthreads, based upon scheduler activations.

Other POSIX.4 facilities include SA_SIGINFO, real time queued
signals, AIO, POSIX semaphores, POSIX queues (the latter two are
functionally comparable to SysV stuff we have now).  Would people
be interested on cooperation on a project to add those? I plan to
do some stuff over summer, but it would be preferable if more people
would work on this, of course.

BTW, I found Solaris implementation really nice, especially the documentation
in manpages was excellent. It was ... amusing to find the manpages to
match the standard almost letter by letter, and to find the manpages
really document the features which were to be defined by vendor.
Neat. I hope we'd be able to provide similarily high-quality docs
for the new stuff.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!