Subject: Re: observations on a large-memory system.
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/19/2001 09:36:48
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:00:18AM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> yes, we definitely need to adjust the tuning curves for various resources.
> I've been increasing the number of vnodes via /etc/sysctl.conf on my machines
> for a while now, but it would be nice to get more reasonable settings
> by default.

So, is Bill's math ( RAM / n = 670KB / 67000 pages ) a good way to
determine how many vnodes the average machine should be configured
with for now, or is there something more subtle here that I'm
missing? Is this even going to be a big deal with significantly less
than 2GB of memory (like, say, 384 MB)?

I've noticed interactive response get *very* slow during, say, a
mkisofs, which went away to a certain extent after adding 256 MB
more RAM. (The system was before and is now configured with 512 MB
of swap... I figured having that many more virtual memory pages than
real memory just made it all the more likely that, say, X's pages
would end up in swap.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net