Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/09/2001 22:00:24
According to Brian Chase:

>Bahhhh... You're seeing the world through PeeCee tinted eyes.  You must
>remember that one of NetBSD's major focal points is its portability.  And
>given this, that means it runs on quite a few more systems than just Intel
>PCs with lots-o-memory

Or Suns, or Macs or just about anything made this century.

> -- or the 8Meg PC freebies you're taking jabs at
>here.  Most of the older machines which are supported tend to have very
>modest amounts of both memory and CPU cycles.  This includes systems such
>as the MicroVAX-II on which a memory config of 8Megs or less is fairly
>common.  I myself have a number of VAX systems with as little as 4-6Megs.

I say again - this argument is specious.  Nobody is forcing you to use
an option.  All you are doing with your nattering about small memory
machines is killing off enthusiasm for an idea that is useful for
people with the resources to support the OPTION.  Stop badgering
people on a point that has no technical merit given that the feature
proposed is optional and if configured out will have no memory impact
at all.