Subject: Re: encrypted swap?
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2001 10:24:17
On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:30:32PM +0200, wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net wrote:

> > > Has anyone looked at the encrypted swap option Niels Provos added
> > > to UVM in OpenBSD?
> >
> > No, but I've been thinking about what it'd take to add that sort of
> > feature to NetBSD.
>
> is your machine too fast?

Would you please get a clue?

> > I'm also interested in adding a "zero-swap on shutdown" feature that
> > writes 0's over the entire swap partition when the box is shutdown
> > normally (not a panic).
>
> this make more sense.

No, it doesn't.  It is unlikely to do much good in the face of determined
efforts to read what was in swap, it doesn't do any good for the most
obvious case in which this is at least a slight win (a diskless machine
paging across the network) and it doesn't save much CPU anyway.  Compared
to the pain of pushing pages to disk and sucking them back in, there are
encryption algorithms that are practically a NOP.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron