Subject: Re: Patch to add console scrollback support.
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/01/2001 17:33:23
> # p.s. OTOH, It would be nice if some different key sequence than { Ctrl + Alt
> # + Shift + Meta + Cokebottle }  PgUp|PgDown -- like maybe just PgUp and PgDown
> # -- were used.
>
> You forgot "Hyper" and "Compose" :-)

	:-)

I really don't think we want just plain PgUp/PgDown to control the
scroll-back, though CTRL+ALT should have been more than enough (i.e. the
same prefix keys used for screen switching in the first place).

However what I really want to know is why the almost infinitely
intelligent use of Scroll-Lock wasn't (isn't yet) taken from FreeBSD.

The only problem with FreeBSD's implementation is that you don't really
necessarily want to confuse "scroll lock" with "scroll mode", though
most of the time you really do want "scroll lock" on when in scroll mode.

> Now the REAL boon would be getting wscons functionality into those ports
> which use framebuffers,

Yes please, me too!  :-)

> (but not if you only stored text and did a remap instead of
> doing something completely boneheaded like storing the bitmaps :-).

I should hope so!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods