Subject: Re: looking for devices on PCI bus
To: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/03/2001 10:25:09
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Andrey Petrov wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:33:44AM -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:
> > Call all the device match routines again to get the match level.
> >
> > Select the driver with the best match, and attach it, possibly the same
> > driver that was previously detached.
>
> Any thoughts on user-level interface which disables/enables driver in
> device tree to avoid guessing and force exact driver to probe.

match routines return the "quality" of their match. So another way to
describe this is to have an interface to get the driver to change
(raise) the value it returns for match.

The real problem with doing this is that we don't have a way to identify
drivers to userland. Devices yes, but not the drivers themselves. To
really do what you want, we'd need one.

Take care,

Bill