Subject: Re: looking for devices on PCI bus
To: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2001 17:07:08
mlyle@recourse.net (Michael Lyle) writes:
> *nods* I realize that..  the nice thing is, if there is a -current table-
> kept in the kernel of what the PCI config is, that can just be queried
> instead of rescanning-- e.g. it makes the solution general purpose and
> avoids the need to duplicate / reinvoke code.

This type of functionality is needed approximately never.
Autoconfiguration code is also run approximately never.

It would seem to be a mistake to do something which:

	* involved significant code size increase, or
	* involved significant data size increase

to accomodate something which happens almost never.

This is a space-time tradeoff...  In my opinion, at least, it's better
to run the code to rescan things -- almost never -- than always waste
data space on such a table.  (That is, assuming the code increase is
approx. the same in either case...)

> The contents of this message are confidential.
> Copyright 2001 M. Lyle

If it's confidential, then you really shouldn't be sending it to a
public e-mail list, now should you...  8-)

cgd