Subject: re: ps ax availability for non-root
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2001 01:16:47
   On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 12:43:38PM -0400, Joseph Mallett wrote:
   > It could be part of login classes, and limit user per user who can see
   > others' processes. This would be the "best" way, but not the easiest one.

   Whilst that's not the easiest solution, I agree that it is probably
   the "best" way.

   Too much magic already depends upon the test of uid==0; using login
   classes makes sense.

   Actually reminds me of a university system I had an account on years
   ago; only the sysops (in a certain group) could run the full ps;
   everyone else was restricted...

i'm curious as to implementation thoughts for this -- does the kernel
get to learn about classes or do we get a ps daemon or do we go back
to a set-id ps?  all sounds rather ugly to me.

.mrg.