Subject: Re: MP/Threading...
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/22/2001 00:39:05
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, John Hawkinson wrote:
> No decision has been made as to what point we will move to 2.0 from
> 1.x; there's lots of unrefined speculation.

and lets keep it this way. All the rest of the world has felt this
incredible pressure to keep changing version numbers. Until theres a
_bloody_ good reason to start using 2, lets keep to version numbers that
have meaning. we're at 1.5. logically, the next version, which should
not really be dictated by a calendar but by a significant enough change in
the system to warrant it, willbe 1.6. 1.7 would logically follow 1.6 and
so on and so forth, 1.11, 1.15, or whatever, down the line.
if suddently some really importantly big change takes place, maybe then
one could go to 2's.

> | I was seriously hoping that BigLock would never see an official release.
>
> We do not decide whether to release or not to release on the basis of
> a SINGLE FEATURE. Obviously we'd love to see more finer grained locks,
> but we certainly will not hold back a release for it. It can be in the
> next release.

exactly.

isildur