Subject: Re: "The BSD Way" [was Re: Support for ACLs]
To: None <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2001 01:31:09
On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 12:46:57PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> As this old chestnut is resurfacing, maybe someone can remind me of the
> clever vi syntax to open /etc/rc.conf in the top half of the screen and
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf in the bottom? (searching on "vi" in the archives
> won't get me far... I remember reading the message though...)

Using nvi (the vi in NetBSD), either:
	vi /etc/rc.conf /etc/defaults/rc.conf
	:N
	(use ^W to toggle `focus')
or
	vi /etc/rc.conf
	:E /etc/defaults/rc.conf
	(use ^W again)

An alternate method, which works with any version of vi, is to read
the contents of /etc/defaults.rc.conf into the end of the current vi
sessions and delete the lines you don't want:
	vi /etc/rc.conf
	:r /etc/defaults/rc.conf

Hope that helps,
Luke.