Subject: Re: "The BSD Way" [was Re: Support for ACLs]
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/11/2001 13:20:29
On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:

> Ill agree. I was vehemently against the rc.d stuff. I keep a tarball of
> olf rc scripts and the first thing i do on a newer system is trash the
> rc.d crap and stick in real rc's again. This rc.d thing i can _only_ see
> as an attempt to appease the linux-familiar and slolaris-familiar folks who
> somehow are desperately wanted to start using netbsd. This is also a
> great example of what i see happening to the decisions in where NetBSD is
> going: a few folks decide 'how things will be', and then, regardless of any
> discussion, thats how things are declared to be.

	Hey - its also for people who have used NetBSD for years and
	prefer the ability to run '/etc/rc.d/ipfilter restart' rather than
	remember the exact rc.conf settings on each machine. Its quicker,
	and less error prone. It also makes it a hell of a lot easier to
	add programs that need to run before rc.local, and then upgrade
	the OS on the machine.

	As for an old style rc script - maintaining one by hand would
	inevitably lead to inconsistencies between the two, so it should
	be autogenerated. Has anyone put together something to generate
	a old style rc file from the current system?

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --