Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2001 02:53:10
> Then of course there have been the messages (quite a lot of them)
> that aren't about anything at all, those are the ones I'm ignoring.

That's odd, I don't think I've seen more than one or two of those, if
that.  Perhaps you're mistaking discussion of an issue you don't wish
to discuss for discussion about nothing at all?

> [...old fsck, new filesystem...]

> One solution to this might be to have all the pointer blocks (in
> reality, on most filesystems, there wouldn't be many...)

...at least until people start using attached data heavily.  Make a
facility available and it will get used. :-)

> On the other hand "not the BSD way" and noise like that I will simply
> ignore (it isn't as if that comment is even correct).

kre, I greatly respect your technical competence.  As a simple example
of the sort of competence I'm talking about, note that of all you
wrote, I could find no more than one thing to comment on.

But this I find..disappointing.  You are not the sole arbiter of "the
BSD way".  You most certainly are not any sort of arbiter of whatever
it is that I find so important to a system's being a pleasure to use
and hack on, which for lack of a better term I've been calling "the BSD
way", and which NetBSD is in the process of abandoning.

Perhaps you think my opinion is worthless next to your opinion.  You
might even be correct to think so, when it comes to NetBSD.  Or perhaps
you think that negative impact of this sort - negative enjoyment
impact, perhaps I can call it - should not be considered.  And again,
you might be correct to think so, when it comes to NetBSD.

But please at least have the honesty to be up-front about it, rather
than dismissing something critical to at least a few of us as "noise".
I do not lightly take the time and effort to stand up for what is
important to me even in the face of massed opposition.  I can accept
that what you state is important to you is at least worth considering;
please do me the courtesy of reciprocating.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca